Duke Campus Farm provides opportunities for co-curricular programs, projects and collaborations with Duke students. Please see below for several examples.
For course offerings and other programming involving Duke Campus Farm that provides course credit, please see Course Offerings.
Student Films from "Climate, Culture, and Identity"
Experimental filmmaker Lauren Henschel (MFA ‘20) worked with both courses taught by DCF Program Director Saskia Cornes during the 2022 school year. To explore complex course content, all students made short films around themes of climate, food, and identity, reaching a wider audience with their projects, sharing their knowledge in new ways and learning transferable video-making and narrative skills. These films are inspired by the ideas of folks discussed in class, such as Robin Wall Kimmerer, Timothy Morton, and Norman Wirzba, as well as Lauren Henschel's experimental films and art installations and students' own life experiences.
Click on the links below to view the student films:
- "Visualizing the Mesh" by Gurnoor Majhail, Olivia Smith, Steven Powell, and Suyash Chandak
- "Capturing Windigo" by Maile Lehrer, Yadira Paz-Martinez, and Bridget Zhu
- "A Window into Nature: Race, Culture, and Architecture" by Jaden Fauntery, Joey Rauch, and Sarah Northover
- "Original Instructions" by Brandon Scarberry, Charlotte Lim, and Chloe Decker
- "Let's Talk about Queer Ecology" by Tyler Kelly, Emily Ngo, and Shuzhe Wang
"We Are All Related"
We are grateful for a replica of the “We Are All Related” mural to be a resident at the farm. In 2018, a class led by Charlie Thompson called, “Farmworkers in North Carolina”, partnered with local Durham artist Cornelio Campos to research farmworkers in the Durham area. Students went on field trips and researched areas including here at Duke Campus Farm and one of our partners, Student Action with Farmworkers (SAF). The mural makes visible the many complex historical and modern layers of our food system and the stories of North Carolina farmers.
Other Past Student Programs and Collaborations
- 2020 Luce Farm Fellow Research Report
- Carolina Meat Conference
- Co-Learning Lab (2021)
- Duke's Master of Fine Arts in Dance: Embodied Interdisciplinary Praxis (May 2021)
- The Environment in Literature, Law, and Science (Fall 2020)
- Story +: What This Land Has Seen: The Past and Future of the Duke Campus Farm (Summer 2021)