Duke Campus Farm provides opportunities for learning outside of the traditional classroom through co-curricular programs, projects and collaborations.
For course offerings and other programming involving Duke Campus Farm that provides course credit, please see Course Offerings.
Alternative FALL AND Spring Break
The Duke Campus Farm hosts a yearly Alternative Fall and Spring Break program for Duke students who are staying on campus or in Durham during Fall or Spring Break. Past programs have included:
- Visiting local farms to broaden perceptions of local agriculture
- Hearing from guest speakers about on everything from GMOs, to racial equity in the food system to dumpster diving
- Basic farm skills, such as seeding, soil health, compost making and beekeeping
- Volunteering at local food access organizations, such as Interfaith Food Shuttle, SEEDS, Meals on Wheels, and Durham Urban Ministries
- Restorative break programs with yoga, art workshops, such as print-making and paper-making, queer ecology and environmental poetry readings, cooking, and bonfires.
Fall 2023 Contra Dance is September 16 from 7-10pm
Join us each Fall and Spring for our biannual Contra Dance! This community event is free and wholeheartedly welcomes community members, students, staff, faculty, friends, fellow farmers, travelers passing through.... Guided by Eileen Thorsos, a long-time contra caller, and serenaded by Mara Shea on the fiddle and Dean Herington on piano, you will find yourself whisked away into a night of promenading, balancing, and do-si-do-ing with new friends. It's impossible not to come away from this evening beaming!
Duke Create Workshops
This year we're partnering with DukeCreate to host workshops on-farm, including linocut printmaking and a cyanotype and flower transfer workshop. More workshops to come this fall!